Grow Closer to God and Your Church Family Through Small Groups!
Whether you are a Sojourner, on a Quest, an Apostle in Training, Rooted In Faith or all of the above, find the *Koinonia you’ve been looking for in a Small Group at Kent UMC!
*Koinonia comes from the Greek word meaning communion by intimate participation, which is the ideal state of fellowship and community envisioned by the Christian Church.
There’s no better way to get to know your church family than through the koinonia of a small group. Eight to twenty persons meet twice a month either in members’ homes, at church or in other locations to encounter God, grow in faith, and support one another in this ever-changing world. Did I mention snacks or even supper are involved?? All groups are intergenerational, couples and singles unless otherwise indicated. Check out the following KUMC SMALL GRO UPS to find the one that’s right for U!
Looking for a family to belong to?
Try the Brooks/Marsh Caring Growth Group, 2nd & 4th Sundays at 4pm at the church and in homes. Meets for study followed by a potluck supper. They also enjoy 3 social events during the summer break, this year including an outing to see “Singing in the Rain” at Kentridge HS with dessert at Shari’s afterward on May 4; a BBQ on July 20; and a Potluck on August 25. You are cordially invited to join them for any or all of these events!
Looking for an academic approach to God and religion?
The King Caring Growth Group, 2nd & 4th Sundays, 7:00pm in Room 20 may be for you! Encounter the Gospel with Marcus Borg, John Dominic Crossan, John Shelby Spong, Paul Tillich and other writers and theologians. Current study: Saving Jesus From the Church by Robin R. Meyers.
Looking for spiritual as well as academic nourishment?
The following groups seek to grow in faith using materials from Adam Hamilton, John Ortberg, N.T. Wright, Bible studies by various authors, and many others.
- The Koinonians meet 1st & 3rd Sundays in Room 20. They also like to do things together from feeding meals to the homeless to attending a Rainier Chorale concert.
- Quest meets 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 6:30pm – 8:00pm in Room 21. Currently studying ENOUGH by Adam Hamilton. Light supper served!
- Apostles in Training meets 1st & 3rd Wednesdays, 7:00pm – 8:30pm in homes. Currently studying The Thirteen Apostles by J. Ellsworth Kalas.
- The Sojourners Group meets every Fridays, 6:30pm – 8:00pm in the Youth Room. Currently studying The Ragamuffin Gospelby Brennan Manning. Childcare available!
- Embracing the Gray meets every 3rd Friday, 7:00pm – 8:30pm in Room 18/19. Primarily Baby-Boomer couples. Studying Adam Hamilton’s Christianity’s Family Tree, a DVD-based study.
- Wednesday Night Bible Study meets every 1st & 3rd Wednesday, 6:30pm – 8:30pm in Room 20. Currently studying Romans. Couples and singles, 50 years +.
You Can Also Join One of Our United Methodist Women’s Groups:
(click here for a complete schedule and additional information on Kent United Methodist Women)
- Suzanna Wesley Circle—Second Tuesday 7pm in room 18-19.
- Lydia Circle—Third Thursday 10am in room 20.
- Ruth Circle—Fourth Thursday 12:30pm at the church or in homes.
You will grow spiritually, discover the Bible, find prayer more meaningful, make new and lasting friends, feel like you truly belong to our church, and you will have fun!!! Contact the church office at (253) 852-3900 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in seeing if a Caring Growth Group might be right for you.
Kent United Methodist Church offers a range of quality small groups and classes to draw you closer to God and family! Click below to find out more: